A Five Hour Accessibility Continuing Education Event
Complete all five hours of Mandatory Continuing Education required for your Architectural license renewal in one day. Refreshments will be provided.
A Planning Guide for Accessible Restrooms 120-Minutes
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) set the minimum requirements for newly designed and constructed or altered state and local government facilities, public accommodations and commercial facilities to be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities. Many projects must also follow the provisions of the 2009 revision of ANSI Standard ICC A117.1, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities. This course will identify the benefits of accessibility standards and the prescriptive requirements for accessible restrooms set by the ADA as well as the California Building Code (CBC).
- Identify how accessibility standards accommodate a diverse set of users and the general prescriptive requirements for accessible restroom design mandated by ADA and CBC.
- Describe requirements for accessible lavatories and restroom accessories.
- Describe requirements for accessible toilet compartments of varying sizes and the accessories needed to complete their specification.
- Discuss requirements for accessible bathing facilities.
Charrette: Universal Design Solutions for Accessible Public Restrooms 90-Minutes
Interactive, concurrent Charrette sessions create universal design solutions for different types of accessible public restrooms.
Design solutions will:
- Produce functional, creative, universal, accessible designs
- Meet the diverse needs of restroom patrons
- Result in exceptional restroom designs
- Enhance market value of properties
- Understand how accessible, universal design meets the diverse needs of restroom patrons.
- Identify 10 key Guidelines for planning public restrooms.
- Learn how exceptional design enhances market value of properties.
- Develop accessible and universal design solutions for different types of public restrooms.
Specifying Code-Compliant Toilet Partitions 60-Minutes
This course will provide up-to-date information relative to selecting and specifying code-compliant toilet partitions for commercial restrooms. Fire and accessibility codes will be discussed, as will guidelines for writing toilet compartment specifications.
- Discuss the update of toilet partition material fire code compliance.
- Explain how to select the most appropriate toilet partition material, hardware and mounting configuration based on building type.
- Describe three ADA accessible toilet compartment layouts.
- Identify guidelines for writing toilet compartment specifications.
About the Presenter
Alan Gettelman is Vice President of External Affairs at Bobrick Washroom Equipment, Inc., where he previously served as Vice President of Marketing. Since joining Bobrick’s sales promotion department in 1962, Gettelman has played a key role in the expansion of its product line and spearheaded marketing efforts facing distinct market segments, including architects, building owners, property managers and facility managers. Today, Gettelman is responsible for counseling on preparation of architectural specifications and on fire codes, building codes and accessibility standards compliance, as well as providing expertise in the areas of product development and marketing strategy.